April 17, 2023

What happens if your dog eats a grape?

Luckily for me, Bean, as mischievous as he is, hasn’t ever shown interest in grapes. 

None the less, let’s find out what to do if your dog does eat a grape. 

What if your dog eats grapes

If your dog eats a grape, it’s essential to take immediate action as grapes can be toxic to dogs. Even a small number of grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs, and the symptoms can be severe. 

The signs of grape toxicity in dogs can include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and lethargy. As the condition progresses, your dog may develop dehydration, weakness, and decreased urination. If left untreated, grape toxicity can lead to kidney failure and potentially fatal consequences. 

If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, it's important to contact your vet right away. they may recommend inducing vomiting to remove the grapes from your dog's system or may recommend other treatments depending on the severity of the symptoms. 

Prevention is the best approach when it comes to grape toxicity. It's important to keep grapes and raisins out of your dog's reach, and to be aware of any products that may contain them, such as some types of trail mix, baked goods, and candy. If you have any concerns about your dog's health or diet, consult with your vet for guidance. 

Now, let’s cover the signs of kidney failure in your furry friend. 

What are the signs of kidney failure in dogs?

The signs of kidney failure in dogs can vary depending on the severity and duration of the disease. Some common signs and symptoms include: 

  • Increased thirst and urination. 
  • Loss of appetite and weight loss. 
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea. 
  • Bad breath and mouth ulcers. 
  • Lethargy and weakness. 
  • Depression and reluctance to play or exercise. 
  • Dehydration. 
  • Pale gums. 
  • Blood in the urine. 
  • Decreased or absent urination. 

In some cases, the signs of kidney failure may be subtle and may only be detected through routine blood and urine tests performed by a vet. 

You should note that kidney failure can progress rapidly and can be life-threatening if left untreated. If you suspect your dog may have kidney failure, it is important to seek veterinary attention immediately. Early diagnosis and treatment can be critical in managing the disease and improving the chances of a favourable outcome. 

How long does it take for a dog to show signs of poisoning?

The time it takes for a dog to show signs of poisoning can vary widely depending on the substance ingested, the amount ingested, the size and age of the dog, and other factors. 

In some cases, a dog may show signs of poisoning within minutes of ingesting a toxic substance, while in other cases it may take several hours or even days for symptoms to appear. Some signs of poisoning may be subtle at first and may worsen over time. 

Can dogs lick grape juice?

It’s not recommended to allow dogs to lick grape juice or eat products that contain grapes or raisins.  

While the exact mechanism of toxicity is not fully understood, it is known that some dogs are more susceptible to the toxic effects of grapes and raisins than others. The toxicity can vary depending on the dog, the amount consumed, and other factors. 

It’s best to err on the side of caution and keep grapes and raisins away from your dog, including any products that contain grape or raisin juice. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any grape products, take to your vet as soon as you can.  

What fruit can't dogs eat?

There are several fruits that dogs should not eat, including: 

  1. Grapes and raisins - can cause kidney failure. 
  1. Avocado - can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. 
  1. Cherries - can cause digestive upset in dogs and the pit can be a choking hazard. 
  1. Citrus fruits - can cause digestive upset in dogs and the high acidity can be harmful to their teeth and stomach. 
  1. Persimmons - can cause intestinal blockages. 
  1. Pits and seeds of fruits - can be a choking hazard or cause intestinal blockages. 
  1. Fruits with high sugar content - excessive amounts of sugar can lead to obesity and other health problems.  

If you are unsure about whether a particular fruit is safe for your dog to eat, it is always best to ask your vet first. 

Wrapping up

If your dog eats a grape, it’s crucial to act without delay and seek veterinary attention. Grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs, and the severity of the toxicity can vary depending on factors such as the amount ingested and the dog's sensitivity to the toxin. 

Remember, your dog's health and well-being are important, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.  

Finally, it's worth noting that accidents can happen, and sometimes our furry friends get into things they shouldn't. With proper care and attention, however, we can help keep our pets safe and healthy, and enjoy many happy years together. So, give your pup a big hug, and here's to many more happy, healthy years with your four-legged friend! 

Enjoyed this piece? Why not find out if it’s safe for dogs to eat rice-crispy treats before you go? 

This is Beans Blog

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram