Choosing a furry friend to join your family can be a challenging decision, especially when it comes to the popular Cavapoo and Cockapoo breeds. Both are a combination of two adorable purebreds, making them highly sought after for their charming looks and loving personalities.
If you're wondering "what's better Cavapoo or cockapoo," you're not alone. In this comparison article, we'll explore the key characteristics and differences between these two breeds, helping you make an informed decision on which one is better suited for your lifestyle and preferences.
I actually own a Cavapoo (called Bean) but nevertheless I've tried to be objective when writing this article.
Table of Contents
- Understanding the Cavapoo Breed
- Discovering the Cockapoo Breed
- Similarities and Differences Between Cavapoo and Cockapoo
- Making a Choice: Cavapoo or Cockapoo?
- Frequently Asked Questions about Cavapoos and Cockapoos
- Q: Are Cavapoos or Cockapoos better for people with allergies?
- Q: Do Cavapoos or Cockapoos shed more?
- Q: Are Cavapoos or Cockapoos better with children?
- Q: Which breed is easier to train?
- Q: Do Cavapoos or Cockapoos have more health issues?
- Q: Which breed is more suitable for apartment living?
- Q: What is the lifespan of Cavapoos and Cockapoos?
- Read the latest Cavapoo posts here:
Understanding the Cavapoo Breed
If you're considering getting a Cavapoo, it's essential to understand the breed's unique characteristics and traits. Cavapoos are a crossbreed of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle. They were first bred in the United States in the 1950s, and their popularity has been rising ever since.
One of the most notable characteristics of Cavapoos is their temperament. They are known for being affectionate, friendly, and easy to train, making them excellent family pets. They tend to be very social and enjoy company, whether it's from their owners or other dogs. Additionally, they are often adaptable to different living environments, including small apartments.
|Physical Attributes||General Characteristics|
|Weight: 12-25 pounds (male and female)||Intelligent|
|Height: 9-14 inches (male and female)||Loyal|
|Coat: Soft, wavy, and hypoallergenic||Playful|
|Colour: Varies, including white, black, brown, and red||Curious|
When it comes to grooming, Cavapoos require regular maintenance to keep their coat in good condition. They will need to be brushed at least once a week, and they may also require regular visits to a professional groomer. However, their coat is hypoallergenic, making them an excellent choice for people with allergies.
Overall, Cavapoos are an adorable and lovable breed that makes an excellent addition to any family. Their affectionate nature, adaptability, and easy-going temperament make them an ideal choice for first-time dog owners or families with children.
Discovering the Cockapoo Breed
The Cockapoo, also known as the Cockerpoo or Cock-a-Poo, is a mixed breed dog that originated in the United States in the 1960s. It is a crossbreed between a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle, resulting in a dog that is both intelligent and affectionate.
One of the key characteristics of the Cockapoo is its adaptability. This breed can be well-suited to a variety of living environments, from small apartments to larger homes with yards. Additionally, the Cockapoo tends to be a sociable breed, getting along well with both other dogs and people.
Cockapoos come in a wide range of sizes, with the smallest weighing in as little as five pounds and the largest weighing up to 30 pounds. They are typically about 10-15 inches tall at the shoulder.
Their coat can also vary significantly, with some having curly hair like a Poodle and others having straight hair like a Cocker Spaniel. Cockapoos can come in a variety of colors, including black, white, tan, and brown.
The Cockapoo is known for its friendly and affectionate nature. They are often described as being happy, playful, and outgoing. Cockapoos are also highly trainable, as they are intelligent and eager to please their owners.
Like any breed, they may have some tendencies towards certain behaviours such as barking or digging. However, with proper training and socialization, these tendencies can be minimized.
As with any breed, Cockapoos may be prone to certain health issues, such as ear infections, hip dysplasia, and eye problems. It's important to ensure that your Cockapoo receives regular veterinary checkups and preventative care to minimize the risk of these issues.
In general, Cockapoos are a healthy breed with a lifespan of around 12-15 years.
Similarities and Differences Between Cavapoo and Cockapoo
Choosing between a Cavapoo and a Cockapoo can be a daunting task, especially if you are not familiar with the specific traits of each breed. To make the decision-making process easier, we have compiled a list of similarities and differences between these popular hybrid dogs.
|Size||Small||Small to medium|
|Coat||Soft and curly or wavy||Silky and wavy|
|Colour||Various, including white, black, brown, and cream||Various, including white, black, brown, and cream|
Both Cavapoos and Cockapoos are small, adorable dogs that make great companions. However, there are some notable differences in their physical characteristics. Cavapoos are generally smaller than Cockapoos, with a soft and curly or wavy coat, while Cockapoos have a silky and wavy coat. Both breeds come in a variety of colours, including white, black, brown, and cream.
- Cavapoo: Friendly, affectionate, and gentle, with a playful and outgoing personality.
- Cockapoo: Sociable, loyal, and intelligent, with a friendly and affectionate nature.
Both breeds have a friendly and affectionate personality, making them great family pets. Cavapoos are typically more outgoing and playful, while Cockapoos are intelligent and loyal.
You should read my article: Are Cavapoos good temperament dogs?
Both breeds enjoy human company and thrive on attention, making them great companions.
- Cavapoo: Moderate exercise needs, with a preference for short walks and indoor playtime.
- Cockapoo: Moderately active, with a need for daily walks and playtime.
Both breeds have moderate exercise needs, but their preferences differ slightly. Cavapoos enjoy short walks and indoor playtime, while Cockapoos require daily walks and playtime to stay active and healthy. Both breeds can adapt well to apartment living as long as they get enough exercise and mental stimulation.
- Cavapoo: Moderate to high grooming needs, with regular brushing and occasional trimming needed.
- Cockapoo: Moderate to high grooming needs, with regular brushing and occasional trimming needed.
Both breeds have moderate to high grooming needs, with regular brushing and occasional trimming required to maintain their coats. Cavapoos and Cockapoos both have non-shedding coats, making them a great choice for people with allergies. However, their coats can be prone to matting and tangles, so regular grooming is essential.
In conclusion, while there are similarities between Cavapoos and Cockapoos, there are also notable differences that can affect which breed is better suited for you. Consider your lifestyle, activity levels, and grooming preferences before making a final decision.
Making a Choice: Cavapoo or Cockapoo?
Choosing between Cavapoos and Cockapoos can be a tough call as both breeds have their unique qualities. However, considering your lifestyle and needs can help you make a well-informed decision. Below are some factors to keep in mind when deciding which breed is right for you:
|Activity Level||Cavapoos are known to be more active and energetic, requiring plenty of exercise and playtime.||Cockapoos are also energetic but tend to have a slightly lower activity level than Cavapoos, making them suitable for families with slightly less active lifestyles.|
|Grooming Needs||Cavapoos have curly, soft fur that requires regular brushing and grooming to prevent matting. They also need periodic trimming to maintain their coat.||Cockapoos have wavy or curly hair that also requires regular grooming, but less frequent trimming than Cavapoos.|
|Family Compatibility||Cavapoos are playful and affectionate, making them great family pets. They love to cuddle and interact with their owners and are good with young children.||Cockapoos are also great family pets, but may be better suited to families with older children or without kids, as they can be sensitive and get anxious around young children.|
Ultimately, the choice between a Cavapoo or Cockapoo will depend on your personal preferences and lifestyle. Consider meeting both breeds and spending time with them before making your decision. This will help you determine which breed is the best fit for you and your family.
If you fancy a lovely grey coloured dog read about the Merle Cavapoo.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cavapoos and Cockapoos
Choosing between a Cavapoo and a Cockapoo can be a daunting task with many questions to consider. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about these two breeds.
Q: Are Cavapoos or Cockapoos better for people with allergies?
Both breeds are considered hypoallergenic, which means they produce fewer allergens than other dog breeds. However, it's important to spend time with both breeds to see if you have any reactions before making a decision.
Q: Do Cavapoos or Cockapoos shed more?
Both breeds have low shedding coats but may still require regular grooming to keep their coats in good condition. However, it's worth noting that individual dogs may differ in their shedding patterns.
Q: Are Cavapoos or Cockapoos better with children?
Both breeds are known for being great with kids and make excellent family pets. However, Cockapoos may be better suited for families with very young children as they tend to be more energetic and playful.
Q: Which breed is easier to train?
Both breeds are intelligent and eager to please, making them relatively easy to train. However, Cavapoos may be easier to train as they tend to be more relaxed and less energetic than Cockapoos.
Q: Do Cavapoos or Cockapoos have more health issues?
Both breeds are generally healthy, but they may be prone to certain health issues such as ear infections and hip dysplasia. It's important to choose a reputable breeder and schedule regular vet check-ups to keep your dog healthy and happy.
Q: Which breed is more suitable for apartment living?
Both breeds can adapt well to apartment living, but Cavapoos may be better suited as they tend to be smaller and less energetic than Cockapoos. However, regular exercise and outdoor playtime are still important for their health and happiness.
Q: What is the lifespan of Cavapoos and Cockapoos?
Both breeds have a lifespan of around 12-15 years.
With these frequently asked questions in mind, you can make an informed decision on whether a Cavapoo or Cockapoo is the right breed for you.
Read the latest Cavapoo posts here:
- Understanding the Lifespan: How Long Will a Cavapoo Live?Welcome to our informative guide on the lifespan of a Cavapoo. As a loving pet owner, you want to ensure that your furry friend has the best possible quality of life. Knowing how long your Cavapoo is likely to live is an essential aspect of planning for their long-term care. In this section, we will… Read more: Understanding the Lifespan: How Long Will a Cavapoo Live?
- Essential Guide: What Should I Know Before Buying a Cavapoo?Are you considering bringing a Cavapoo into your home? These adorable pups are a popular mix of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle, but before making a purchase, there are some essential things you should know. First and foremost, it's important to understand the care requirements, including grooming routines, nutrition needs, and exercise requirements. Additionally,… Read more: Essential Guide: What Should I Know Before Buying a Cavapoo?
- Is a Male or Female Cavapoo Better? Discover the Answer!Are you considering adding a Cavapoo to your family but unsure which gender to choose? Don't worry; you're not alone. Many potential pet owners find themselves asking the question, "Is a male or female Cavapoo better?" Fortunately, we're here to help you discover the answer. Before we dive into gender-specific characteristics, let's first understand the… Read more: Is a Male or Female Cavapoo Better? Discover the Answer!
- Can Cavapoo be Left Alone? Understanding Your Pet's Needs.As a Cavapoo owner, you may wonder whether your furry friend can handle alone time. Understanding your pet's needs is crucial to ensure their well-being and happiness. Cavapoos are known for their affectionate and loyal nature, which means they thrive on human companionship. However, they're also adaptable and can adjust to periods of alone time… Read more: Can Cavapoo be Left Alone? Understanding Your Pet's Needs.
- Does a Cavapoo Smell? Decoding Your Pup's Unique ScentAs a Cavapoo owner, you know that these adorable pups are a joy to be around. However, you may have noticed a unique scent emanating from your furry friend. But does a Cavapoo smell? The answer is yes, just like any other dog breed, Cavapoos have an odour. But don't worry, there are ways to… Read more: Does a Cavapoo Smell? Decoding Your Pup's Unique Scent
- Addressing Cavapoos Problems: What You Should KnowWelcome to our guide on Cavapoos! These adorable furry companions are known for their friendly and loving nature, but just like any other breed, they may encounter certain problems. In this section, we will discuss the common problems faced by Cavapoos, including their health issues and other challenges. It is important for prospective and current… Read more: Addressing Cavapoos Problems: What You Should Know
- Decoding the Price: How Much Should a Cavapoo Cost?Are you considering adding a Cavapoo to your family but unsure about the cost? We understand that the pricing of Cavapoos can vary greatly, making it challenging to determine what you should be paying. In this article, we'll explore the various factors that affect the cost of a Cavapoo, including health checks, pedigree, and breeder… Read more: Decoding the Price: How Much Should a Cavapoo Cost?
- Cavapoo vs Cockapoo: What's Better? Explore Your Pup Choice!Choosing a furry friend to join your family can be a challenging decision, especially when it comes to the popular Cavapoo and Cockapoo breeds. Both are a combination of two adorable purebreds, making them highly sought after for their charming looks and loving personalities. If you're wondering "what's better Cavapoo or cockapoo," you're not alone.… Read more: Cavapoo vs Cockapoo: What's Better? Explore Your Pup Choice!
- Uncovering the Truth: Are Cavapoos Good Temperament Dogs?Welcome to our guide on Cavapoo temperament! If you're considering getting a Cavapoo, or just curious about their temperament, you've come to the right place. In this article, we'll explore the personality and behaviour of this adorable breed. Many people wonder, "Are Cavapoos good temperament dogs?" The answer is a resounding yes! Cavapoos are known… Read more: Uncovering the Truth: Are Cavapoos Good Temperament Dogs?
- Do Cavapoos Bark a Lot? Your Guide to Understanding Cavapoo BehaviorAre you considering getting a Cavapoo or already own one? One of the most common questions asked about these adorable pups is: do Cavapoos bark a lot? Cavapoos can be moderately vocal, their tendency to bark depends on their individual personality. Early training will certainly help manage excessive barking. As with any dog breed, Cavapoos… Read more: Do Cavapoos Bark a Lot? Your Guide to Understanding Cavapoo Behavior
- Unveiling the Truth: Do Cavapoos Make Good Pets?Yes, Cavapoos make good pets. They're known for their friendly and sociable nature. They are a crossbreed of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle, combining the affectionate nature of the former with the intelligence of the latter. Obviously my opinion may well be biased as I absolutely love my Cavapoo, he's called Bean. That said… Read more: Unveiling the Truth: Do Cavapoos Make Good Pets?
- Merle CavapooDiscover the enchanting Merle Cavapoo, a delightful crossbreed with a splash of colour. Unleash joy and beauty with this charming companion. Find out more now! Key Takeaways: Merle Cavapoo Introduction The Merle Cavapoo is a highly sought-after breed that combines the intelligence of the Poodle with the affectionate nature of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.… Read more: Merle Cavapoo
- Cavapoo UnderbiteExplore the causes and solutions for underbites in Cavapoos. Learn how to care for your pet's dental health and ensure their long-term wellbeing. The posh word for "Underbite" is "Malocclusion" but I always try to use simple plain language in my blog posts whenever possible. If you read through this I'm confident you'll have a… Read more: Cavapoo Underbite
- Best brush for a CavapooWhen you first bring your adorable little Cavapoo home, you’ll still be gathering all the things you need to take the best care of him or her. One of the best brushes I’ve found is the Big G Slicker Brush by Chris Christensen. The longer pins help tackle tangles and has a comfortable handle with… Read more: Best brush for a Cavapoo
- Does my Cavapoo need a winter coat?Cavapoos can feel the cold. You might want to think about buying him/her a coat to keep warm and provide a little extra protection against the weather. Several coats are water/windproof and cover most of the body, to trap in heat and keep them warm. Unsure what coat to go for, or whether your dog… Read more: Does my Cavapoo need a winter coat?
- Are Cavapoos Good with Kids?Cavapoos are great with kids. Cavapoos live to have fun, making them perfect playmates for kids, especially those 6 years and over. They enjoy getting involved in dog sports and activities and are great at playing fetch and chasing balls. They love spending time with people and are unfailingly loyal. In the rest of this… Read more: Are Cavapoos Good with Kids?
- Do Cavapoos Get on Well with Cats?Yes, they do. Cavapoos adore the company of other animals — even cats! Their playful nature makes them great companions for your feline friends. Cavapoos are happy go lucky and will be happy to play for as long as your cat permits. You should supervise them the first time they are together though. You can… Read more: Do Cavapoos Get on Well with Cats?
- Are Cavapoos Prone to Separation Anxiety?It is common for Cavapoos to suffer from separation anxiety. This is because they are loving and affectionate dogs, they love being with their owners and are happy doing anything if their owner is nearby. We’ll discuss separation anxiety in the rest of this piece and share tips on how to help your puppy and… Read more: Are Cavapoos Prone to Separation Anxiety?
- How much exercise does a Cavapoo need?Cavapoos are gorgeous little high-energy dogs that are becoming ever more popular thanks to their lively dispositions, sociability, and great temperaments. You’ll want to make sure your furry friend gets lots of stimulation and exercise so that they don’t become cute little energy-filled home wreckers. A fully-grown, healthy Cavapoo needs a minimum of 40 minutes… Read more: How much exercise does a Cavapoo need?
- Are Cavapoos easy to potty train?When you first pick up your new Cavapoo puppy it’s an absolute delight, and the fun and love they’ll give you is immense. However, if they’re not house trained in a timely manner it can start to be a problem. Potty training a Cavapoo puppy can be challenging, but because they are one of the… Read more: Are Cavapoos easy to potty train?